Adult Indoor Allergies
Get effective relief from your adult indoor allergies
Your home should be a place where you can relax and enjoy time with family, friends and pets. But when indoor allergies strike, that sense of peace can feel totally disrupted.
While your adult indoor allergies may have followed you from childhood, it’s also possible they developed later in life. There are a few potential causes behind adult onset allergies, including changes in environmental exposures or how your immune system functions. You may have experienced mild symptoms as a child, and now your allergy symptoms have become much more intense as an adult. In any case, your quality of life can suffer when your allergies go untreated, so now’s the time to see your primary care provider or allergist and get on the path to relief.
Your first step for mold, dander and dust allergy relief
Before you start seeking treatment, it helps to identify your triggers and symptoms. Inside of the home, allergies can be triggered by a variety of stimuli. Surface-borne allergens are much more common than those found in the air—the likely culprits include dust mites, pet dander and mold.
Because these triggers can exist year-round in the home, your symptoms are less likely to fluctuate like seasonal allergies. And if you spend quite a bit of time at home, your indoor allergies can become a real burden on your life year-round. You may find winter to be a particularly difficult season, as you’re likely spending more time indoors with frequent exposure to your allergens.
Some tell-tale signs and symptoms of indoor allergies include:
- Runny nose or congestion*
- Itchy or watery eyes
- Coughing, wheezing or shortness of breath*
With indoor allergies, it’s important to note that signs aren’t usually specific to any particular trigger. A mold allergy and a pet dander allergy will typically cause similar symptoms and both can be relieved with similar remedies.
You can also take preventative actions that reduce your exposure to indoor allergens—here are a few tips to consider:
Reducing mold in the home
- Lower your indoor humidity to reduce excess moisture in the home. Use a humidity monitor, aiming for humidity levels between 35% and 45%.
- Buy a dehumidifier for damp areas like basements and bathrooms.
- Use a certified allergy- and asthma-friendly filter with your central air conditioning system. This will help trap and remove mold spores throughout your home.
- Keep interior doors open to encourage air flow between rooms.
Reducing dust in the home
- Vacuum your home regularly using a vacuum cleaner with a double-layered microfilter bag or a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter.
- Use a damp cloth instead of a dry one when you’re dusting to ensure that dust doesn’t simply resettle elsewhere.
- Use allergen-blocking or dust-proof covers on pillows and mattresses.
- Wash bedding weekly in hot water. If hot water can’t be used, wash bedding on cool and then dry on high heat for at least 15 minutes.
- Opt for home décor that minimizes heavy fabrics and carpeting.
Reducing pet dander in the home
- Bathe your pets at least once a week.
- Choose carpet-free flooring to limit the buildup of dander.
- Cover furniture with easy to wash blankets.
- Invest in an air purifier.
- Brush pets outdoors and groom them often.
- Keep pets out of the bedroom.
- Wash your hands with soap routinely throughout the day.
- Clean solid surfaces as often as possible.
- Vacuum frequently.
How Allegra can relieve adult indoor allergies
Allegra offers plenty of options that can help relieve certain indoor allergy symptoms, so you can feel at home again in your space.
The antihistamine in 12 Hour Allegra and 24 Hour Allegra tablets is indicated to relieve sneezing, runny nose, itchy/watery eyes and itchy nose and throat. It’s the fastest† non-drowsy allergy relief you can find over the counter, starting to work in just one hour.
For relief from nasal congestion, sinus congestion and pressure or swelling of your nasal passages, turn to the antihistamine plus decongestant in 12 Hour Allegra-D and 24 Hour Allegra-D tablets. You’ll be able to breathe freely again at home without feeling drowsy.
No matter which product you choose, you can feel good knowing Allegra is the #1 Allergist recommended brand for non-drowsy relief.‡
*Allegra is not indicated to relieve coughing, wheezing, or shortness of breath. Allegra is indicated to relieve sneezing, runny nose, itchy or watery eyes or an itchy nose and throat. Allegra-D is indicated to relieve sneezing, runny nose, itchy or watery eyes, itchy nose and throat, nasal congestion, sinus congestion and pressure, and swelling of nasal passages.
†Starts working in one hour. Applies to first dose only. Among single-ingredient OTC branded oral antihistamines.
‡Allegra is the #1 allergist recommended non-drowsy brand of OTC oral antihistamines.